Friday 29 August 2014

Long Weekends are Made for PLAY!

Long Weekends are MADE for PLAY!

There are many components to a happy life.  One of them being play.  Rest is equally important however rest brings you to a play where you can finally enjoy play.
What do I mean when I speak of PLAY?  Play can be anything that fills your soul up.  Dr Stuart Brown, a researcher in play has a definition for play that I love!
Play is…
  • is voluntary
  • has no obvious survival value or is apparently purposeless
  • is pleasurable or fun
  • creates a diminished sense of time and self consciousness
  • is improvisational
There are different types of play.  You can plan it, get lost in it or find yourself.
For me play is creating and organzing.

Creating
I love to paint, I am not an “artist” in the eyes of the art community but inside myself I am one of the best.  Glitter, paint, collages, scrapbooking…I get lost in these things for hours.  This is my get lost inside myself play.  Sometimes its as simple as putting pictures into an Album.
Organizing
This is like play for me, because it fills me up.  Cleaning, sorting and freshening up spaces or areas makes me feel great inside.  Nothing is better than an organized, clean and creative space.  Less clutter leads to less stress.  So technically for me, housework can be play.  But only if I am doing it because I want to, not because I feel I have too!
Be careful not to force yourself into play often.  Take baby steps.  Maybe its a trip to the park with the kids, weeding your garden, making homemade bath salts or trying a new dance class.
Whatever you do get out and play this weekend!  How do you play?  Remember play is as important as rest, nutrition and self love!
Have a fantastic long weekend!  Stay safe and have fun with family and friends!  That’s what long weekends are all about!
Peace, love and blessings,
Stephanie Oliver (Muir) RMT
Q_-The-opposite-of-play-is-not-work

No comments:

Post a Comment